Guardian News & Media (GNM) is the publisher of the US news website www.theguardian.com/us, the Guardian and Observer newspapers and www.theguardian.com website in the UK. We're a highly regarded global news brand, owned by the Scott Trust — an arrangement that guarantees its independent voice in perpetuity.
Headquartered in New York City, Guardian US, is an entirely digital operation that seeks to engage US readers by combining the Guardian's internationalist, online journalism with US voices and expertise.
We are now seeking a Deputy Editor [News] to join our editorial team in our New York Headquarters.
Department: Editorial, Newsdesk
Reports to: Editor, Guardian US
Normal location: New York, NY
Terms and conditions: Full time, permanent.
Purpose of role To work with the Editor, Guardian US in leading the newsdesk and providing editorial direction for the Guardian US site
Key responsibilities & accountabilities
• Assist the Editor, Guardian US, in leading the US editorial team to generate US news, features and comment for a global audience
• Taking overall responsibility for our news coverage across a wide spectrum from politics to arts, to technology and US social and cultural affairs
• To help identify specific topics which the Guardian can focus on, build campaigns around, develop series, and help amplify for a global audience
• Help to create innovative approaches to covering US trends/issues/themes for a global audience
• To think digitally and visually about the shape of our news
• To consider how and when we commission multimedia and visuals as part of our journalism
• Work collaboratively with deputy editor [strategy] to support reader revenue initiatives, philanthropic partnerships, newsroom innovation and business growth opportunities
• Collaborate with audience and design on presentation, packaging, promotion, distribution and social media strategy
• In the absence of the editor, assume the role of leader for Guardian US content • Allocate and monitor resourcing for the newsroom
• Provide day to day management and development of reporters
• Maintain strong links with the global sides of the Guardian in London and Sydney, and with bureaus in San Francisco, LA and Washington
• With the editor, direct international news coverage and resources where appropriate
• Work across the editorial team of Guardian US to develop staff and provide opportunities Key contacts & relationships (internal and external)
Main contacts: Editor, Guardian US, Deputy Editor [Strategy], Managing editor, Guardian US, Newsdesk Guardian US, west coast editor and team, UK senior Editorial team, Guardian US section editors
Knowledge & experience
• Authoritative voice in digital news
• Strong network and ability influence
• Strong track record of effective people and departmental management
• Substantial previous experience in a senior editorial role with a national newspaper, magazine or website Skills & behaviors
• Flair for news and passion for digital media
• Leadership skills • Delegation
• Ability to collaborate
• Ability to influence
• Team builder and player
All candidates interested in applying should upload a resume and cover letter as one document. All candidates must have the right to work and live in the United States and be located, or prepared to relocate to the Greater New York City Area.
Guardian News & Media is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin or citizenship.
This job description is a guide to the work you will initially be required to undertake. It summarizes the main aspects of the job but does not cover all the duties that the job holder may have to perform. It may be changed from time to time to meet changing circumstances. It does not form part of your contract of employment and as your experience grows, you will be expected to broaden your tasks, suggest improvements, solve problems and enhance the effectiveness of the role