ASPEN PUBLIC RADIO
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT PRODUCER
About the Position:
This new position will be the station’s first Community Engagement Producer, responsible for recording and producing audio in the studios, at live events, and in the field. We seek a sharp, hard-working, and team-oriented person who has a great ear for audio and is dedicated to helping others make their audio recordings and productions sound their best.
You are an adaptable audio producer who enjoys working behind the scenes to record, produce, and broadcast community voices and sounds. You are an excellent communicator with strong active listening skills. You love making radio, enjoy collaboration, and have experience working with others to make everyone’s audio sound great. You have a high standard of service that you provide to others, and see public radio as a community service.
● Manage the production of audio for station promos, daily program promos, fundraising spots and testimonials, station imaging campaigns, and legal IDs.
● Record and produce station membership and marketing promos scripted and voiced by non-technical staff.
● Field recording for special audio projects, including a new Sonic ID Initiative, launching this summer.
● Record lectures and events held around the valley by Aspen Public Radio and partner organizations, and staff post-production of event audio for broadcast and website.
● Serve as a live sound engineer for Aspen Public Radio events as needed, including interview, panel discussion, and town hall-style events.
● Coordinate and engineer live broadcasts, including sessions from the annual Aspen Institute Ideas Festival; sound engineer live feed using IP codec and support the live hosting of these events back in the studio.
● Voice recorded station promos, IDs, and underwriting spots, as needed.
● Occasional backup for Traffic Director. Schedule spots and publish daily traffic/automation logs.
● Occasional backup for Operations Manager. Troubleshoot automation and off-air problems.
● Other jobs duties as assigned.
● Experience with digital editing software and production for radio broadcast or other audio distribution. Adobe Audition proficiency preferred.
● Experience with audio equipment, including studio consoles, mixers, and microphones.
● Must have adequate hearing to make audio quality determinations, adequate vision to read user access panels on broadcast electronic components, and physical mobility and dexterity to access electronic devices and wiring in studios, server racks, and in sound booths at event sites.
● Ability to stay calm, think clearly, act strategically, and prioritize tasks during live events or when on broadcast deadlines.
● Ability to occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.
● Must be able to work occasional non-standard hours for events, field recording, and broadcast emergencies.
● Bachelor's degree in related field or high school diploma and significant audio production experience.
Additional Desired Skills and Attributes:
● Previous public radio experience.
● Understanding of public radio programming and the sound of public radio.
● Familiarity with radio automation systems and other audio and broadcast software.
● Experience with live sound engineering.
● Experience scripting and producing public radio station interstitial audio like promos and imaging spots.
● Knowledge of sources and best practices for legally obtaining music for broadcast production.
● Experience voicing scripts for audio production.
How To Apply:
Please send a cover letter, resume, three references, and any examples of audio you have produced to firstname.lastname@example.org with Community Engagement Producer in the subject line. If you submit audio samples, please explain what they are and how they illustrate your skills and experience. Application review begins Monday, May 23 and will continue until a hiring decision is made. No phone calls, please. This is a full-time salaried position that reports to the Program Director and Operations Manager.
Aspen Public Radio offers full-time staff benefits, including employer-paid health insurance, 401k match, and paid vacation. Ski and bus pass financing, shared passes to world-class events such as the Aspen Film Festival, Aspen Institute Ideas Festival, and Aspen Music Festival and School summer season are available. This position is based at our Aspen, Colorado, studios, with an annual salary of $54,000. Aspen Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by local, state or federal laws.