Application deadline: July 15, 2022
Application: Apply here
Location: California, Oregon, Alaska, Guam and Hawaii.
The Corp Excellence Regional Manager for Report for America is a critical position within the organization. He/She is charged with overseeing the running of the program on a regional level from the perspective of the emerging journalists and the newsrooms that employ them. This position will cover Region 7, which encompasses Report for America’s newsroom partners and Corps Members in California, Oregon, Alaska, Guam and Hawaii.
This position will report directly to the RFA Vice President of Corps Excellence.
The position is remote, but the Regional Manager will be expected to live in one of the states located in Region 7. The salary for this position is $86,700 annually.
Responsibilities and duties:
· Counsel and advise Corps Members on any number of issues impacting their ability to perform their duties with their host newsrooms or with the Report for America program
· Work with all media outlets to ensure understanding and compliance with Report for America program values, mission and procedures
· Assist in defining project scope, goals and deliverables defined below
· Evaluate applications from prospective corps members and provide slates to newsrooms
· Evaluate applications from news sites.
· Initiate and build partnerships to develop Corps Member opportunities for experiential endeavors locally, state-wide, regionally
· Conduct site visits to evaluate appropriateness and relevance of assignments for Corps Members
· Conduct quarterly, and sometimes more frequent, calls with employers and Corps Members
· Assist Director of Recruitment in identifying potential media companies in your region to participate in Report for America
Work alongside Report for America and GroundTruth colleagues to identify and promote speaking, conference participation and other opportunities for Corps Members, funders and partners in your region
· Produce regular reports on the program’s progress and the progress of the Corps Members in your region
· Promote diversity within the program
· Assist the Vice President of Corps Excellence, Corps Members and media companies in the contest entry process
· Coordinate meetings and other activities for annual visit of Vice President, Corps Excellence
This job description reflects essential functions of the Regional Manager, Corps Excellence position for Report for America. It does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned for this position. A shift in the roles and responsibilities of this specific position or in the strategic needs of the organization may result in this job description changing. All changes will be made in consultation with the employee.
- Responsible for identifying stand-out stories from Corps Members in your region
- Participate in weekly Corps Excellence calls
- Have weekly calls with Vice President, Corps Excellence
- Report on Corps Members and newsroom activities/issues, etc.
- List of proposed monthly visits/trainings, etc. in the region
- Roundup of activities for the quarter
- Quarterly check-ins with host newsrooms and Corps Members
- Quarterly regional training for Corps Members
Meaningful time (minimum 5 to 7 years) spent in the journalism industry,
including as a manager.
● Ability to mentor
● Must be able and willing to travel
● Good listening and observation skills
● Quality problem solver who can also help others to navigate solving problems
● Ability to communicate non-confrontationally and intelligently
● Skilled negotiator
● Steward of diversity, including visible signs of commitment to diversity issues
● Familiarity with online communications tools such as Zoom, Skype, GoToMeeting, etc.
The GroundTruth Project is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We encourage diverse candidates to apply.