Cascade Public Media is looking for a seasoned multimedia expert to lead a team of public-interest journalists producing video and multimedia stories about news and politics in Seattle, Puget Sound and the Pacific Northwest.
CPM is the parent company of the 64-year-old public television institution KCTS 9 and the award-winning regional news site Crosscut. As other local media outlets decline, we are on the rise, investing in more deep-diving coverage of news and politics, arts and culture, science and the environment, tech and business — the things that bring people to the Pacific Northwest and keep them here.
The News & Politics Editor will lead a team that explores and explains the dramatic change underway in the region; watchdogs elected leaders, public officials and government agencies; and facilitates dialogue between community members and policymakers, and across urban-rural, east-west, red-blue and racial/cultural divides.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced multimedia editor with a deep understanding of politics and public policy in Seattle and Washington state. The editor will manage a team of seasoned journalists and video producers, collaborating with social media wizards and web developers to make KCTS 9 public television and Crosscut essential sources of news, analysis and perspective for the region.
Ready to play a central role in a fast-paced and collaborative newsroom, and help to create a bright new future for public media? This job might just have your name on it.
Qualified applicants please apply here.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Manage a team of editors, writers, video producers and MMJs, creating an atmosphere that encourages innovative, enterprising and high-impact journalism.
2. Assign and edit news articles, videos and multimedia stories from staff and freelance journalists, ensuring that their reporting meets journalistic and organizational standards for fairness, thoroughness and quality.
3. Manage freelance budget and end-of-month pay sheet to ensure that writers, artists, photographers, etc., are paid in a timely fashion.
1. Work with the Executive Editor, Managing Editor and other section editors to set Cascade Public Media’s editorial direction and identify opportunities to break fresh ground and fill voids in regional media coverage.
2. Meet daily production deadlines so that email newsletters can go out in a timely manner and content can be promoted appropriately via social media and other channels.
3. Collaborate with other Editorial and Production staff on art selection and headline writing that is informed by best practices and data analytics.
4. Serve as a CPM representative in the planning and execution of community events and working with partner organizations.
1. Work with other editors to foster and recruit a diverse stable of freelance writers, columnists, and multimedia producers.
2. Track story assignments, due dates and publish times to create a steady stream of daily news content on the website with engaging photos, illustrations and graphics.
3. Share News & Politics team plans and priorities with other Cascade Public Media staff
4. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Masters Degree in broadcasting, journalism, communications, new media or a related field or equivalent experience
2. At least seven years’ experience as a writer, multimedia producer and/or editor
3. Demonstrated success in developing and managing multiple priorities and projects of various size and depth
4. Demonstrated ability to hire, motivate, and work with a diverse group of writers, video producers, and other content producers, to resolve conflicts, and produce clear, salient stories that appeal to a broad audience
5. Experience with digital media platforms, multimedia storytelling tools and techniques, and social media
6. A talent for identifying surprising characters and fresh narratives, and helping journalists craft stories around them
7. Excellent interpersonal skills for building and fostering key internal and external relationships
1. Ability to view data on a computer screen for long periods of time
2. Ability to type on a keyboard for long periods of time
3. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods
Cascade Public Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation