Google News seeks to give every user the information they need and want to know — from critical news stories to deep interests.
As a News Product Experience Specialist on Google News, focusing on the Indian and Asian Pacific region, you help make sure that our product meets and exceeds our audience’s needs and expectations, including quality, relevance, context, and timing. You produce informative, accurate, and lively experiences, often at a moment's notice. The role demands discipline, hard work, and quick action. In return, you'll receive enormous satisfaction as a contributor to a high-impact team that provides a critically important service to millions of users.
This is a 12-month contract position with a possibility of renewal (evaluation to be made at that time). Candidate must already be authorized to work in the US for at least 12 months at the time of applying.
The role is based in our Cambridge, MA office. We do not pay relocation costs.
Applicants should e-mail a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
* Transform stories and topics into meaningful and engaging user-facing features
* Help maintain a detailed, comprehensive story calendar
* Identify new content sources to expand & strengthen Google News’ catalog across multiple genres and regions; contribute to source promotion efforts within the app
* Use data-driven analysis to measure the success and impact of our team’s work
* Help evolve manual workflows into automated, scalable processes
* Fluency in English and Hindi is required; additional Indic language fluency or proficiency is a plus.
* B.A./B.S. required; M.A. in Journalism/Communications preferred
* 1+ years working in a full-time media capacity: reporter, editor, copyeditor, or producer
* Proficiency with professional grade publishing/design tools, publisher front-ends, and CMS’s
* A demonstrated ability to jump into complex workflows and improve them steadily over time
* Deadline driven, including a willingness to adapt hours when necessary to cover important events & stories
* A rock-solid understanding of ethical questions that surround news distribution
* An obsessive news consumer across all media, including social, legacy media (print & broadcast) as well as online
* Mindful of what makes great user experiences, from catchy copy to engaging images, GIFs, & videos
* A proven knack for multitasking, communicating with a global team, and maintaining shared tools & resources
* An incredible collaborator who takes fast, critical feedback in stride and steadily improves week after week
* Passionate about a dozen (or more!) cultural phenomena: favorite bands, authors, niche movie categories, emerging trends, and more
* Adept at switching context from broad, generalist topics to very narrow interests and back again