Partnership on AI - Writer/Editor
The Writer/Editor is a cross-functional member of the Partnership on AI’s (PAI) Content and Communications team who will spearhead the editorial development for a range of written outputs based on the work of the Partnership. Across blog posts, website landing pages, as well as other long and short-form publications and priority area driven content, this storyteller will develop a consistent voice that resonates with our Partners, other stakeholders, and general audiences.
The ideal candidate is collaborative, proactive, detail-oriented, and efficient. This person readily embraces the capabilities of digital media for storytelling purposes and understands how to distill an idea to its core. They have a passion for translating complex topics and are adept at crafting punchy, concise headlines. They care about developing, editing, and polishing memorable public-facing reports to illustrate PAI’s mission and work. Their proven project management skills allow them to effectively collaborate across multiple cross-functional long and short-term editorial projects. They are also entrepreneurial in experimenting with new formats to highlight our work in different ways.
The position presents an opportunity to guide the editorial vision and voice of the Partnership, representing the world’s leading coalition of researchers, technologists, and experiential experts in artificial intelligence. Help us create a future where artificial intelligence works to the benefit of people and society. This role will report to the Associate Director of Content and Communications.
• Conceive and direct attention-grabbing AI-centric stories, helping weave the overarching mission and voice across PAI’s written publications
• Writing responsibilities include, but are not limited to, blog posts, Medium posts, website landing pages, Partner facing collateral, and abstracts of PAI produced papers
• Contribute to the written and narrative aspects across a variety of mediums in PAI’s content strategy work
• Serve as a storytelling resource to internal teams by providing substantive feedback on early drafts and final outputs for PAI publications and external communications materials - including developmental editing, line editing, copyediting, and proofing on academic and public facing materials
• Ensure PAI publications maintain technical accuracy with an eye to legibility and accessibility
• Oversee the production and writing of PAI Annual Reports
• Contribute to the Content and Communications team’s editorial calendar and content planning efforts
• Propose visual elements as needed in collaboration with PAI stakeholders to enhance effective storytelling, especially in the distillation of complex technical ideas
• As needed, work with external vendors to deliver visual content on-time and within budget
• Develop and maintain internal materials on the publication process: style guides, pipeline schedules, and a library of multimedia content
• Maintain and update publications on the PAI’s website on Wordpress.
• Act as a content producer as needed
• Track content analytics
• At least five years of experience as a science or technology journalist/communicator, professional writer, and/or editor communicating complex topics to general audiences
• An ability to accurately distill complex and nuanced research findings in artificial intelligence to inspire change in academia, civil society, industry, and policy circles
• Application of strong journalistic and storytelling instincts for owned-media content.
• Experience in writing and editing materials intended for technical and general audiences
• Exceptional project management skills with the flexibility to manage competing priorities and a shifting focus determined by the changing needs of the Partnership.
• A genuine interest in general AI research, policy, and current events in the AI ecosystem
• Wordpress and Asana literacy strongly preferred
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
• Expert knowledge of AP style
PAI offers a generous paid leave and benefits package, including: Twenty vacation days, three personal reflection days, sick leave and family leave above industry standards, high-quality PPO and HMO health insurance plans, many 100% covered by PAI, Dental and vision insurance 100% covered by PAI, up to a 7% 401K match, vested immediately, pre-tax commuter benefits (Clipper), automatic cell phone reimbursement ($75/month), up to $1,000 in professional development funds annually, team lunches & reading days, opportunities to attend AI-related conferences and events and to collaborate with our 90+ partners across industry, academia and civil society. Please refer to our careers page for an updated list of benefits.
Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States; we do not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position at this time.
PAI is headquartered in San Francisco, with a global membership base and scope but we will consider remote work.
PAI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment in all aspects of employment, including recruiting, hiring, promoting, training, education assistance, social and recreational programs, compensation, benefits, transfers, discipline, and all privileges and conditions of employment. Employment decisions at PAI are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications.
PAI will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or similar laws.
The Partnership on AI may become subject to certain governmental recordkeeping and reporting requirements for the administration of civil rights laws and regulations. We also track diversity in our workforce for the purpose of improving over time. In order to comply with these goals, the Partnership on AI invites employees to voluntarily self-identify their gender and race/ethnicity. Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not jeopardize or adversely affect employment or any consideration you may receive for employment or advancement. The information obtained will be kept confidential.
To apply please send a short cover letter, resume and writing samples across various media. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Applications will be accepted until June 30, 2020.