Newsday.com is looking for an experienced, innovative manager with a strong visual sense to become Editor of exploreLI.com, our award-winning Long Island food, nightlife, entertainment, recreation and events site. This person will develop compelling, original content for online and work closely with Newsday editors and reporters. This job is based in Melville, New York.
We’re looking for someone to:
* Oversee a team of news managers in programming a fast-moving site with multimedia content;
* Brainstorm, plan and work with vendors to build out new sections of exploreLI.com, which requires project management and strategic planning experience;
* Direct exploreLI’s mobile strategy, including iPhone, iPad and Android applications;
* Develop social media strategies, stay abreast of emerging technologies and plug into local online communities;
* Work with senior print editors and take a leading role in meetings, and work with other departments to create and improve workflows and processes;
* Gather and understand metrics, with the ability to establish and communicate traffic goals;
* Train and mentor employees.
Experience and qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree preferred, three-to-five years online publishing experience and experience working in a newsroom;
* Previous work with publishing tools and graphic design, with photo and video editing skills;
* Track record of integrating Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare and other social media tools into a website;
* Knowledge of HTML; with CSS, mySQL and Flash experience a plus;
* Mobile, marketing and/or advertising experience a plus;
* Familiarity with Long Island and/or strong interest in learning the ins and outs of LI;
* Flexibility to work various shifts, including into the evening;
* Reliable transportation to and from Newsday’s suburban Melville, New York office.
Newsday Media Group is an “Equal Opportunity Employer”.